Fun for families
Explore one of our fascinating, kid-friendly museums, catch a movie, or take a trip to Paua World (and do some gift shopping while you're there).
- The Fell Museum, Featherston - houses H199, the only locomotive of its type in the world.
- Kahutara Taxidermy, Featherston – your kids will love this unusual collection of mounted birds and animals, including lions!
- Cobblestones Museum, Greytown - the site of stables operated by Cobb & Co to provide a mail and passenger service between Wellington and the Wairarapa from 1866, Cobblestones is more of an historic village than a museum. Parents look into the past and kids stare in disbelief.
- Paua World, Carterton - learn about New Zealand’s world famous paua and do a bit of gift shopping while you’re here.
- The Wool Shed, Masterton - learn about the history of wool and sheep shearing in two old woolsheds. Lots of hands-on fun too.
- Aratoi Museum of Art & History, Masterton – check out the latest exhibitions.
- The Pointon Collection, Masterton - takes you into an early 1900s garage and work shop where the stories of a rotating range of vintage cars and motorcycles brings back the old days. Old signs, equipment, tools and spares it's like your grandfather’s shed.
- Café Solway & Golf Driving Range, Masterton - smack a bucket of balls to burn off some energy.
- Trust House Recreation Centre, Masterton - a great fun swimming complex with a river run and waterslides.
- Regent 3 Cinema and The Screening Room, Masterton - take in the latest flicks.
- Ten Pin Bowling, Masterton - light hearted family competition.
- Middleton Model Railway, Eketahuna - one of the largest model railways in New Zealand
Mountains to climb, rivers to swim, beaches to stroll on, animals to meet... there are so many options when the sun's out.
- Try out our family-friendly walking trails - stunning scenery, and it'll tire them out!
- Swimming in a river or the sea is always a winner.
- Kahutara Canoes, Featherston - take an unforgettable tour down the Ruamahanga, Wairarapa’s largest river.
- Horse rides can be arranged with Gladstone Horse Treks, Gladstone - guided horse rides are arranged according to suitability, ability and weather. There are easy meandering bush edge, bush trail and river rides or moderate to challenging hill terrain with panoramic views.
- Stonehenge Aotearoa, Carterton - an amazing insight into a working open sky observatory.
- Queen Elizabeth Park, Masterton - probably one of the best town parks in New Zealand! Pedal Boats, a mini train, excellent kids’ playground, mini golf, bike hire, a deer park and plenty of walking tracks and bike trails.
- The Alpaca Place, Masterton - learn about these curious animals on a hands-on tour
- Feed animals and wander the orchard at Martinborough Manor
- Pukaha National Wildlife Centre - one of the best activities near Masterton with bush walks, native birds, and a great cafe. Make sure you see the rare white kiwi! Every school holidays the Rangers run a Junior Ranger Programme which gives the kids a chance to get out and about and explore behind the scenes!
- Palliser Ridge - a working Sheep and Beef Station well-known for their farming initiatives such as ethically grown and traceable lamb, beef and mutton, have opened their gates to visitors in a number of fun, hands-on tours.