The Remutaka Cycle Trail connects Wellington with Wairarapa, winding through a variety of stunning landscapes: a river valley, rolling foothills, bush-clad ranges, old railway tunnels, lake-sides, farm land and a rugged coastline.
One of New Zealand’s Great Rides, this 115km trail is rich in history with diverse terrain rideable by most people. The trail can be accessed in many places so you can tailor your ride to suit your needs and fitness levels.
Here are our tips to help you choose the right ride:
Coming for a couple of days?
The Remutaka Rail Trail makes a wonderful weekend cycle trip with the opportunity to explore other Wairarapa highlights such as cycling the vines in Martinborough, visiting Featherston or Greytown or riding the Wairarapa’s other cycle trails. One of the reasons people love this trail is because it's so easy to make a really varied visit by adding on other Wairarapa things to do close by.
The Whole Trail
Alternatively bike the full Remutaka Cycle Trail breaking up the journey overnight in characterful accommodation found along the way. There’s even Wharekauhau Country Estate if you want to splash out.
- Check out Green Jersey Explorer Tours guided multi-day tours of the Remutaka Cycle Trail, including bike hire.
- Take a look at Wildfinder for fully supported packages including bike hire, transport, food and accommodation options.
Transport options to/from the start/finish
- Drive or catch the train to Maymorn Station and start through Tunnel Gully.
- Drive or catch the train to Featherston then cycle the 45 minutes to Cross Creek, all on an off-road limestone trail.
- Book a car relocation service with Rimutaka Car Relocations.
- Book a shuttle with Rimutaka Shuttles to meet you at the end of your ride, or get to your accommodation.
Check out our handy Remutaka Cycle Trail FAQ.