Masterton day-trip from Wellington by train
Need a break from the city? Masterton has excellent cafes, world-class art and one of the best public parks in the country, with loads of activities in easy walking distance. Make a day of it and bring your bikes!
Take the train from Wellington all the way to Masterton at the end of the line (Sunday services are via bus while KiwiRail does infrastructure improvements and essential track maintenance). It’s a 10 minute walk from the station straight down Perry Street to the town centre. Check out a Wellington to Masterton train timetable.
Fun activities for families in Masterton:
- Queen Elizabeth Park has to be your first stop. You'll love the huge playground, flying fox, miniature train and pedal boats, mini-golf, and BMX and skate park.
- Check out Aratoi - Wairarapa Museum of Art & History, the largest museum in the Wairarapa and ConArt Gallery & Studios who create and sell artwork from colorful containers, both in the Masterton Arts Quarter.
- Nearby at Trust House Recreation Centre are indoor heated pools, a hydro-slide, river ride, and spa and outdoors three pools, a speed slide and diving pool.
- Activities at nearby Masterbowl range from bowling, bumper cars, arcade games, basketball and more.
- Follow the growth of New Zealand’s shearing and wool industry and the rise to international sports fame for Golden Shears at The Wool Shed.
- Walk or cycle around Henley Lake with 43 hectares of wetlands and native planting and over 72 different species of birds.
Time for a snack? There are so many excellent Masterton cafes and restaurant. Then stroll back to the train station for a relaxing trip home!