Martinborough has more than 20 cellar doors, each with their own style. Most are located within easy walking or cycling distance of the village square, making it a popular spot to visit. When it comes to delicious wines, there's so much of the good stuff to discover. Check out our friendly pointers below to enjoy Martinborough responsibly and have fun in our much-loved wine village. Unsure where to start?
Follow this handy guide:
Want lunch and a glass of wine? These vineyards have food on offer as well as the tasty drops your heart desires. Just be sure to make a booking.
- Poppies Martinborough (Fri-Tues)
- Vynfields (Sat-Sun)
- Coneys Wines (Sat & Sun Oct-July)
- Tiwaiwaka Wines (Thu-Sun)
- Moy Hall (Thu-Mon)
- Margrain Vineyard (open 7 days)
- Luna Estate (open 7 days)
- Tirohana Estate (Tues-Sun)
- Colombo Martinborough (Fri-Sun)
- Haythornthwaite Wines (open 7 days)
Want a tasting of premium wines in an intimate setting? These cellar doors may be right up your alley. They tend to be small though, so fitting in groups of six or more can be tricky. If that’s you, best to give them a call to check.
- Ata Rangi (call ahead to book)
- On Giants Shoulders (call to book)
- StoneCutter Estate (open Fri-Sun)
- Ashwell Vineyard (call ahead to book)
- Brodie Estate (call ahead to book)
- Hamden Estate (open Sat-Mon)
- Muirlea Rise (open Sat-Tue)
- Tiwaiwaka Wines (open Thu-Sun)
- Schubert Wines (open most days)
- Escarpment (call ahead to book)
- Big Sky Wines (call ahead to book)
- Palliser Estate (open 7 days)
- Tirohana Estate (Tues-Sun)
- Cambridge Road Vineyard (open 7 days)
- Alexander Vineyard (call ahead to book)
More than 6 of you? If you’ve managed to get the whole gang together, then you really need to book ahead. Here are some cellar door suggestions to check out:
- Hamden Estate (open Sat-Mon and by appointment)
- Luna (open 7 days)
- Muirlea Rise (open Sat-Tue and by appointment)
- Tirohana Estate (by appointment only)
- Te Kairanga (open 7 days)
Regardless of where the day takes you, here are a few friendly pointers:
- In this neck of the woods, it’s casual but classy. Please don’t pre-load and don't come here to get hammered. It’s all about wine tasting, not hitting the turps. Enjoy sampling our pinots or savouring a sav, just don’t get sloshed.
- Just like at your favourite local bar, the same laws apply here when it comes to consuming alcohol; you can't be served alcohol at cellar doors if you’ve had enough already.
- The boutique scale of our vineyards is what makes us special. Here, you’ll find small businesses run by locals who love what they do. This means cellar doors can be compact operations, so if you’re in a group, you do need to book ahead.
Getting to Martinborough?
Learn here how you can get to Martinborough by car, train or shuttle for a great day trip.
Staying in Martinborough?
Check out other Wairarapa Vineyards: