Castlepoint has been voted one of the country's top 10 most loved beaches. Just an hour from Masterton, it's the perfect getaway, with swimming, surfing, walking trails galore and a rugged east coast vibe.
Fuel is available at the Whakataki Hotel 24 hours a day - pay at the pump.
- The lighthouse. First lit in 1913, it's one of the last two remaining beam lighthouses in NZ. Stroll up and imagine life as a lighthouse keeper - the last one was on the job until 1988.
- Fishing - try your luck!
- Pop into the beachfront store for a classic rolled icecream or espresso coffee.
- Play nine holes at the pretty Castlepoint golf course
- Visit historic Tinui - site of NZ's first Anzac service
- Climb the Deliverance Track to Castle Rock
- Horse races on the beach
- Enjoy great pub food and a pint at the Whakataki Hotel
- Explore the Mataikona Rocks, just 15 minutes' drive away
- Keep an eye out for the annual Castlepoint fishing competition in January each year
- Learn how to surf, whatever your age, with Zacks Surf School
Things to do nearby
- Cycle the Rahui Coastal Loop for 65km over tar sealed and gravel roads, coastal cruising and native bush, and of course some hills, with a night in the country and a night at Castlepoint.
- Don't forget to stop at Rewanui Forest Park on your way to Castlepoint (it's just before the Riversdale turn-off) - a series of of loop walks through a 334 hectare farm, taking in native bush and pine forest.
- Visit Tinui Food Forest, one of the largest and most established food forests in New Zealand with hundreds of varieties of fruit and nut trees, berries, herbs, climbers and flowers.
Check out our stunning Wairarapa coast! Here are some shots of Castlepoint and Cape Palliser.