Things to do near Masterton
Masterton is the entrace to the eastern coast, close to Castlepoint and Riversdale beaches, with many more fun activities nearby.
- Castlepoint, just 50 minutes from Masterton, is famous for its lighthouse. Swimming, fishing and surfing make it a great holiday spot. Check out the Castlepoint Golf course and Castlepoint Beach Races.
- Riversdale beach is a perfect Wairarapa coastal retreat 50 minutes from Masterton. The beach is great for swimming with a Surf Life Saving Club often on duty.
- Rewanui Forest Park is a series of loop walks through native bush and pine forest and a great place to stop on the way to/from Castlepoint or Riversdale - just 20 minutes from Masterton.
- Pukaha National Wildlife Centre is only a 20 minute drive north of Masterton and a further 25 minutes on you'll find the famous Tui Brewery.
- Brancepeth is one of the region's grandest colonial homesteads close to Masterton.
- Middleton Model Railway, one of the biggest model train displays in New Zealand is just a short drive north of Masterton.
See more great activities you can do in Masterton here.
Other Wairarapa towns and villages to visit:
- Ten minutes south along State Highway 2 is Carterton, the arts hub of the region. Stop here for vintage shopping and art.
- The bustling village of Greytown is 20 minutes further down State Highway 2 and is the perfect place to stroll and shop.
- Another ten minutes down the line is Featherston, where train-lovers and history buffs are in for a treat. Visit the fascinating Fell Locomotive Museum or take in some World War I history.
- Martinborough is half an hour from Masterton and the region’s hot spot for wine and gourmet food.