Things to do in Masterton
Masterton is filled with great activities, from museums to lakeside walks and farm tours! And there are plenty of fun family activities that won't cost you a thing.
Take your pick of these awesome activities in Masterton:
- Try out the new skatepark, huge playground, flying fox, miniature train and pedal boats, mini-golf, and BMX and skate park at Queen Elizabeth Park. While you're there take a walk around the park's beautiful trees.
- Visit Aratoi - Wairarapa Museum of Art & History, the largest museum in the Wairarapa and ConArt Gallery & Studios where artists create and sell artwork from colourful containers, both in the Masterton Arts Quarter.
- Discover more about Masterton's murals, sculptures and installations using this Masterton's Public Art Trail map.
- See endangered wildlife, walk through the fantastic free flight aviary or take a tour at Pukaha National Wildlife Centre.
- Have fun indoors with heated pools, a hydro-slide, river ride, and spa and outdoors with three pools, a speed slide and diving pool, at Trust House Recreation Centre.
- Learn hands-on about wool and sheep shearing in two historic woolsheds at The Wool Shed.
- Take a walk around Henley Lake, with 43 hectares of wetlands and native planting, or try the interconnected Lansdowne Recreational Trail or Waipoua River Trail.
- Masterton Vineyards are some of the most accessible in the Wairarapa - try Le Gra, not far from State Highway Two.
- Check out the latest flicks at Regent 3 Cinema and The Screening Room.
- Go shopping in Masterton and visit the fantastic Hedley's Booksellers - around for over 100 years and specialising in books about the Wairarapa.
- Stock up on a range gorgeous local produce at the Wairarapa Farmers' Market every Saturday 9am-1pm.
- Try out our family-friendly walking trails - Mount Holdsworth near Masterton has two great walks for families.
Take a look at some more awesome activities you can do, close to Masterton