Wairarapa's right in the centre of New Zealand, and just a short hop over the hill from Wellington.
From Wellington by car
Jump on State Highway 2 for a direct, scenic drive up through the Remutaka (Rimutaka) Pass and down into the Wairarapa plains. It's 1hr 10 to Featherston. Add another 15 min for Greytown or Martinborough, or 20 min for Carterton or Masterton. Check conditions on the Remutaka Pass on web cam.
This driving-times page is super handy.
Wairarapa is a great day trip from Wellington and there are lots of ways to do that.
From Wellington by train
Trains run every day connecting Wellington with the Wairarapa towns of Featherston, Greytown, Carterton and Masterton. Check out a Wellington to Wairarapa timetable. Simply catch a connecting bus to the wine village of Martinborough or the colonial village of Greytown.
- To get to Martinborough simply hop off the train in Featherston and board a Martinborough bus which meets every train (except the late train on Fridays). Another option is to book a shuttle with Rimutaka Shuttles or Martinborough Shuttles. Martinborough Wine Tours also offer transfers to/from Featherston station with bookings.
- To get to Greytown during the week hop off the train at Woodside Station (its 5km out of town) and board the bus which meets all weekday trains (except the late train on Fridays). It will whisk you straight to Main Street Greytown.
- To get to Greytown on weekends you’ll actually need to get off the train at Featherston Station. This arrives at 10.55am. You hop on the route 200 bus waiting at the station at 11.00am which takes you to Main Street Greytown. You’ll arrive there at 11.20am. To get back to Featherston to catch the train back to Wellington on weekend afternoons catch the route 200 bus at 4.55pm outside St Johns Hall (opposite The Hub) on Main Street, Greytown. This will get you to Featherston Station at 5.10pm in time for the train. You'll return to Wellington at 5.25pm.
- Or use pedal power - bring your bike on the train and cycle into town along the pretty Woodside Trail.
- Bringing your bike? Just get to the station early at peak commuter times (4.25pm and 5.30pm) as the bike carriage can fill up fast.
Take a guided day tour from Wellington:
Tranzit Gourmet Martinborough Wine Tour is a guided tour takes in four of Martinborough vineyards and includes lunch. Learn why this charming village is home to some of the world’s top Pinot Noir.
Hammonds Palliser Bay Tour. Explore part of the Wairarapa coastline and see the famous Cape Palliser lighthouse, the fishing village of Ngawi, the fantastic seal colony and some dramatic Lord of The Rings film sites.
Greytown Tour is a full-day guided tour from Wellington to Greytown, Martinborough and Featherston. Experience beautiful boutique shopping, lunch, wine and cheese while all of your transport is taken care of.
Palmerston North by plane
From Palmerston North by car
It's 1hr 15 from Palmy to Masterton - follow the signs to Woodville. This easy drive takes you through rolling countryside and a bunch of fun places to stop along the way.
From Palmerston North by coach
Intercity coach service run from Palmerston North to Masterton via Woodville. Take a look at the Intercity Coach timetable.
Rent a car - check out locally based companies and those nearby.
From Hawke's Bay by car
It's an easy drive down the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail from the Bay. Just two and a half hours from Napier to Masterton.
Main roads closed between Wairarapa towns? Check out these alternative routes.